Disclosure: This site is reader-supported & contains affiliate links. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more
The main difference between a recliner and a lounge is the movement of the chairs’ parts. The recliner’s parts are adjustable to suit your current need, while the lounge is static with fixed components. When shopping for a relaxing piece of furniture, you might come across recliners and lounge chairs.
So, recliner vs. lounge?
Recliners differ from lounges mainly because they can accommodate various reclining positions. Contrastingly, the lounge has only one fixed reclining position. Unlike the recliner, which has several additional features, the lounge is simple with only a cupholder and is uncommon in most modern models.
By the end of this article, you’ll be rightfully positioned to decide whether to buy a recliner or a lounge. It provides comprehensive information about the two pieces of furniture.
Table of Contents
Recliner Vs. Lounge: What Makes A Lounge Different From A Recliner?
The most remarkable difference between a lounge from a recliner is the motionlessness of the former’s physical structure. Additionally, other factors contribute to the distinctiveness of the two comfy chairs. Let’s discuss each as we draw other ways in which they differ.
What Is A Recliner?
A recliner is a chair fitted with an adjustable backrest and footrest. When the back leans bans back, the footrest moves upwards. You can control this chair by pulling a lever and leaning back or pushing the button on the chair’s back. Moreover, there are motor-powered recliners that you can control using a remote.
This chair offers various seating positions, including sitting, book reading, TV watching, and sleeping positions. The further back your chair moves, the higher the footrest raises. Nevertheless, some chairs have independent functionality of these parts. Multiple motor recliners offer such features.
The various recliners you’re likely to find on the market are manually or power controlled.
Types Of Recliners
Here are the different types of recliners with different features to serve various purposes.
- Lever handle recliner: It’s a classic chair with a plastic or wood handle controlling the recline mechanism.
- Pull handle recliner: An advanced version of the lever handle recliner with a pull handle fitted on its side. However, you’ve to push the footrest with your feet to take your chair back to its original position.
- Wall hugger recliner: Designed to fit in small spaces as they don’t need extra space behind to recline. Instead, the chair has a sliding track mechanism that slides the seat forward and the footrest upwards.
- Push-back recliner: Resembles a regular armchair and can integrate well with other furniture when not in an incline position. However, it can recline efficiently.
- Rocking recliner: The chair rocks when not inclined. It’s multiple reclining handle types and body designs and revolves around rocking and reclining.
- Glider recliner: Like a rocker recliner but moves on track, making the ride smoother.
- Swivel recliner: Built on a circular base and can spin 360 degrees to allow back and forth swiveling. It’s ideal for cozy home offices and living rooms.
- Power recliner: Use electric motors to control its functionality. It offers a wide variety of advanced features, enhancing the ease of use.
- Power lift chair: It’s a power recliner fitted with a lift factor. The chair is ideal if you’ve difficulties getting out of a seat.
Advanced Features Of A Recliner
Recliners come with a wide range of extra features that enhance extreme comfort and relaxation. They include:
- Cup or glass holder
- USB port
- Massage function
- Heat option
- Tray table
- Phone or tablet holder
- Led Flex light
These features have a more significant impact on the overall price of the chair. Hence, you need to consider buying the chair with the functionality you need and according to your budget.
Pros And Cons Of A Recliner
Your recliner has its two sides of the coin. While it’s tons of benefits for you, it has some drawbacks.
- Provides ergonomic relief, reducing joints, muscle, and spine strain.
- Enhances proper blood pressure and circulation.
- Has additional features that provide maximum comfort.
- Provides different reclining positions serving different purposes like sleeping, watching TV, and reading a book.
- Recliners are a bit pricey.
- They require extra space to recline fully, and hence, they aren’t suitable for limited space
- They need more maintenance.
What Is A Lounge?
A lounge is a chair with a fixed reclining position and doesn’t have a footrest. That means you can’t adjust the chair like it’s the case with recliners. You can use the chair for lounging and relaxing. Similar to recliners, there are several categories of the lounge.
Types Of Lounge
- Reclining Lounge Chair. It’s a flexible chair with a reclining function and armrests, offering maximum comfort. You can stretch with your raised and relax on these seats.
- Club Chair. It’s a low-back chair with a deep seat. This lounge chair is the initial inspiration for the Eames Lounge Chair.
- Arm Lounge Chair. It’s a two-arm, simple, and padded lounge. Although versatile and comfortable recliners have long overshadowed them, you can still find one.
- Traditional Classic Lounge chair. A chair with a fixed recline position and has no armrests. It’s covered with a high-quality fabric made from silk and wool/ cotton.
- Chaise Lounge. It’s a long chair on which you can stretch without the need for a footstool.
- Poolside Lounge Chair. An outdoor chair for you to stretch and relax beside the pool or beach.
- The Eames Lounge Chair. Charles and Ray Eames’s design by Herman Miller combines plywood, aluminum base, and leather upholstered.
- Wing Chairs. These are high-back and winged chairs designed to prevent your back from air drafts. Most are highly padded and very comfy.
Other Names For A Lounge
There are various names that refer to a lounge, including the following:
- Chaise Lounge
Advanced Features Of A Lounge
Unlike recliners, lounge chairs have extremely limited bonus features. The only extra functionality you may find with your lounge is a cup or glass holder. Even so, this feature isn’t available on most lounge chairs. The current chaise lounges have a simple design with no additional features.
Pros And Cons Of A Lounge
A lounge has benefits as well as downsides.
- Full utilization of your living room corners where other chairs may not fit.
- Offers more seating area. The elongated part is the chair’s footrest, but you can use it for visitors or family sitting.
- Some lounge chairs have a storage chest under the seat where you place items such as blankets and pillows, among others.
- You can also turn your lounge chair into a bed when having an impromptu visitor.
- Provides room for comfort and relaxation because you can stretch fully on the chair.
- It’s highly versatile and offers convenient working space in any room.
- Lounge chairs are long-lasting and come in various colors, so you can choose the one that blends well with your decor.
- The lounge chair isn’t suitable for limited spaces.
- ‘Even though you can have your lounge for a visitors’ bed, it can be uncomfortable because it’s no support.
- The chair isn’t easily portable because you can’t put it apart.
Is Recliner Worth Buying?
Yes, a recliner is worth buying. These chairs give you excellent back and lumbar support, which minimizes the risk of back problems. Also, they come with a wide range of advanced features like heat and massage functions, allowing you to enjoy the maximum comfort of your chair. Nonetheless, you shouldn’t pick the feature you don’t need because they add to the overall price.
Are Lounge Chairs Worth It?
Yes, lounge chairs are worth it. The chairs provide convenient working or resting space in whichever room you use them. From a cozy reading chair in your bedroom to a desk chair in a hall or TV watching chair in your living room, the lounge chair offers superior functionality and comfort.
Is Chaise Lounge Practical?
Yes, the chaise lounge is practical. A chaise lounge or a chaise end sofa is an elegant and practical piece of furniture, no matter which style you pick and how you accessorize it. These chairs have high-end versatility and flexibility, guaranteeing good use of your chair.
Why Are Eames Chairs So Popular?
Eames chairs are so popular because of their slimmer and more lightweight artistry than a traditional club chair. That makes these chairs more comfortable. Eames chairs are made of three molded plywood shells of multiple layers of plywood and a striking wood grain-made top veneer layer.
How Long Is A Typical Lounge Chair?
A typical lounge chair is between 73 to 80 inches long. The overall seating area length ranges between 42 and 48 inches. However, there are various other dimensions to consider when buying a lounge.
Recliner Vs. Lounge: Which Chair Should You Choose?
The main difference between the two chairs is that the lounge’s parts aren’t movable like the recliner’s that takes various reclining positions. Despite the variance, these pieces of furniture offer you fantastic comfort in different situations.
Your choice of chair greatly depends on your need, space, body weight, and shape. You also want a durable chair that fits your budget. For these reasons, you need to conduct thorough research before purchasing your ideal chair.
Thankfully, there are various categories of chair recliners and lounges fitted with extra features to enhance comfort. Pick the best!
Is It Bad to Sleep in A Recliner Chair? Potential Benefits, Risks, And Tips
Is it bad to sleep in a recliner chair? What are the potential risks or benefits? Read on to discover the answers for these controversial questions.
How To Stop Recliner From Squeaking
While recliners are a great source of comfort, they can also be a nuisance if they squeak. This article explains how to stop recliner from squeaking.
How To Clean Microfiber Recliner (Pro Guide)
Get a bang for your buck by learning how to clean microfiber recliner. It’s easy, quick and quite affordable. Enter to read our pro guide.
Where Does the Spring Go on a Recliner?
Recliners offer comfort that makes us want to sit and relax. But, as they age, their springs need a replacement. So, where does the spring go on a recliner?