Disclosure: This site is reader-supported & contains affiliate links. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more
Steelcase is among the leading brands you should consider when you think of upgrading your regular desk chair to an ergonomic one. Steelcase Think and Leap are among the brand’s models you’re likely to come across in the market. Although they come with comfort, amazing features, and ergonomic designs, these office chairs are different.
So, Steelcase Think vs. Leap?
The main difference between Steelcase Think and Leap is the reclining mechanism. For the Think chair, you use one knob to control the reclining of the seat. On the other hand, the Leap operates under a glide system. Additionally, the Think has a mesh material option that lacks in the Leap category.
This article provides sufficient information to enable you to make an informed buying decision and pick the right choice between the two chairs. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- Steelcase Think Vs. Leap: Which Is The Better Option?
- Think Chair Vs. Leap Chair: Differences
- Steelcase Think Vs. Leap Chair: Similarities
- Are Expensive Office Chairs Worth It?
- Steelcase Think Vs. Leap: Which Is The Better Option
Steelcase Think Vs. Leap: Which Is The Better Option?
Your preferred chair between Steelcase Think and Leap depends on several factors including the usage, features, and price among others. For that reason, understanding each of these chairs is vital. Also, knowing their similarities and differences helps in making the right choice.
The Steelcase Think chair is an adjustable office chair that’s sensitive to the current needs of your body. It’s fitted with an Integrated LiveBck System that holds to your body and changes with any posture move you make. Additionally, Think has an advanced weight-activated seat, accommodating all body types to provide comfort quickly.
Here are the chair’s specifications:
- Color: Licorice
- Material: Textile
- Item Dimensions: 24.5 x 28.5 x 42 inches
- Chair weight: 50.6 Pounds
- Maximum Capacity: 300 Pounds
- Brand: Steelcase
- Style: Standard Carpet Casters
Steelcase Think features
- 100% polyester mesh back and connect seat fabric
- Carpet-friendly casters
- Adjustable seat depth
- Fully adjustable arms
- Adjustable lumbar
- Pneumatic seat height adjustment
- Adjustable recline tension
- Upholstered flexing mesh back
- Upholstered seat
- Black frame finish and base
Like other ergonomic chairs from Steelcase, Think is a high-end office chair with high longevity. It’s designed to support you 24/7 and provide maximum support.
Steelcase Think Pros
Below are the advantages that come with this ergonomic office chair.
- Integrated LiveBack System: This technology makes the chair back sensitive to your body shape, providing optimal support in different postures throughout the day.
- Dual-energy lumbar support: Adjusts within a 4 inches range to fit comfortably in the curve of your lower back. Provides responsive lumbar support as you change your posture.
- Adjustable armrests: Think chair’s 4D armrests adjust in height, width, pivot, and depth. They allow you to personalize your arms support for an excellent sitting experience.
- Adjustable seat depth: You can move the seat of your chair forward and backward to your ideal position which provides the utmost comfort.
- Flexible seat edge: The edge of the Think office chair curves outwards to provide excellent stability and support to the center of your back and the legs.
- Weight-activated mechanism: This mechanism is adaptive and complies with any body move you make. It enables back tension according to the weight of your body. Also, it ensures the forearm’s support when working or reclining.
- Comfort dial: The Think chair has four comfort level settings, including a full recline with weight-activated tension, a full recline with a boost (20%) weight-activated tension, an upright back lock, and a mid-stop recline. Your chair can adjust quickly to one of these positions.
- 3D kit fabric: The Think chair is made of lightweight and breathable mesh, allowing free circulation of air and preventing sweating. Additionally, it has a soft and properly cushioned surface for a comfortable sitting area.
- 12-year warranty: This extended warranty indicates that the Think chair has high quality and durable build quality. The manufacturer is sure you won’t return the chair for repair or replacement after a few years of use.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Think office chair has a more refined appearance than any of its Steelcase counterparts. It merges beauty with functionality to give your office a stunning look.
Steelcase Think Cons
There are a few drawbacks associated with the Think chair, including:
- Price: Although Steelcase Think is less expensive than other Steelcase chairs, its high $800+ price is more expensive than many other task chairs on the market. And, in spite of its amazing features and design, the chair’s performance and value are lower than Leap’s.
- Reclining resistance adjustment: Think’s stock recline settings can be unstable and too easy to recline. There have been reported cases of a lack of reclining resistance adjustments.
- Overhanging armrests: Too much adjustment of the armrests can cause a notable amount of overhanging. If you apply excess pressure, it can lead to the arms’ breakage.
- Lack of headrest: Although Think is a high backrest chair, it would be better if it had a headrest for more comfort.
- Limited adjustability: While Think is a self-adjusting chair, most users might prefer to have the freedom of adjustment.
The Steelcase Leap ergonomic office chair has a softer seat and superior backrest, providing the utmost comfort. It’s a high-quality office chair which is a major cause of its being pricey. If you can afford it, it’s an investment worth your spending.
Here are Think chair specifications:
- Color: Black/ Black
- Material: Textile
- Item Dimensions: 24.75 x 27 x 43.5 inches
- Furniture Finish: Black
- Chair weight: 65 Pounds
- Maximum Capacity: 400 Pounds
- Brand: Steelcase
Steelcase Leap Features
- 100% polyester Buzz2 fabric
- Carpet-friendly casters
- Adjustable seat depth
- Fully adjustable arms
- Height adjustable lumbar
- Lower back firmness control
- Adjustable pneumatic seat height
- Adjustable recline tension
- Five lockable recline position
- Upholstered seat and back
The Leap chair backrest conforms to your body shape as you change posture to support your spine. That ensures maximum comfort. The high-end quality and durability of this chair also contribute to the unparalleled comfort of your body all day long.
Steelcase Leap Pros
Here are the benefits accrued to this great ergonomic office chair.
- Excellent comfort: A good office chair should be adjustable to fit your body type, preferences, and needs. You can easily customize your sitting experience by adjusting your Steelcase leap chair to your most comfortable position.
- Breathable material: A breathable cover adds to the overall comfort of your chair. The Leap chair has breathable upholstery allowing free flow of air when seated in your chair. That prevents sweating and enhances proper blood flow.
- Very good seat adjustability: You can adjust your chair’s seat depth for up to 3 inches by gliding it forward. That allows you to move forward and recline while you can still reach or see your work. You can also move your seat up or down within a 5 inches range to attain your preferred height.
- Adjustable lumbar: Steelcase lumbar support is height adjustable to fit the natural curve of your spine, providing extra support.
- Back support: The Leap chair has a contoured backrest fitted with a LiveBack (™) technology. This mechanism conforms to your body shape in different postures. The chair has upper back support that regulates the resistance you get when reclining. As a result, you can have a slow, fast, or locked recline position in five complete turns.
- Fully adjustable armrests: Your Leap chair arms can adjust in height, width, side to side, and pivot in and out. Consequently, you get a sufficient supply of your arms support while your shoulders and neck have the correct posture.
- Build-up quality: The chair has a top-notch build-up quality. Hence, it’ll serve you for up to 20 years due to its high durability. The brand conducts rough tests for its products to ensure the highest quality standards.
- Full assembly at shipping: The Steelcase Leap office chair comes in a ready-to-use form. It’s fully assembled so you don’t have to strain if you aren’t an assembling expert or you’re far from one.
- Excellent warranty: Steelcase takes pride in producing high-end products. The Leap chair has a 12-year warranty within which your chair can be repaired or replaced. Even so, that rarely happens because the chair doesn’t break down easily.
- Variable back stop: It sets a reclined angle in one of the five available positions.
Steelcase Leap Cons
The downsides of this chair include the following:
- High price tag: The lowest price you buy a Leap chair is in the low $900+. This price might not be affordable to many, and you might go for a cheaper one that suits your budget. However, the chair is worth the price due to its longevity.
- Lack of backrest adjustability: Although the Leap chair is highly adjustable, you can’t adjust its back. Hence, it may not support your back fully if you’re tall.
- Poor portability: The Leap chair is steel-made and weighty. For that reason, it isn’t easily movable. Even so, this strength makes it suitable for any use and over any period.
- Less padding: Since the chair has a solid and heavy construction, Steelcase uses less padding on the Leap’s seat to minimize its weight. However, that turns out to be a drawback because it doesn’t support lengthy use. It becomes uncomfortable when you sit over a prolonged period of time.
Think Chair Vs. Leap Chair: Differences
After looking into the different worlds of the Think and Leap chairs, you notice that the two chairs have both similarities and differences. In this section, we focus on the major differences in this section.
- Material options
Below is an explanation of how the two chairs differ in the above areas. Keep reading.
The Steelcase Think and Leap have some dimension differences as tabulated below.
|Steelcase Think||Steelcase Leap|
|Overall Chair Height||37.25″ – 42″||38.5″ – 43.5″|
|Overall Chair Depth||22″ to 24.25″||21.75″ – 24.75″|
|Overall Chair Width||28.5″||27″|
|Seat Height from Floor||16.5″ to 21.5″||15.5″ – 20.5″|
|Seat Depth||15.5″ to 18″||15.75″ – 18.75″|
|Arm Height to Floor||22″ – 32″||22″ – 31″|
|Back Height from Seat||22.75″||25″|
Adjustability is the core feature of every ergonomic chair. Steelcase knows it all well and manufactures chairs fitted with adjustable parts. So, you can customize your sitting experience and personalize your comfort. Proper adjustability enhances good overall health and correct posture.
When it comes to the Think vs. Leap chair, adjustability is as explained below.
Steelcase Think: It has a self-adjusting mechanism that adjusts simultaneously with every change of posture you make. That is made possible by the LiveBck Technology fitted in the backrest of this chair. The Think has a knob that you use to control the back tension, and you can choose between four different reclining positions. Each dail clicks to a different setting.
Steelcase Leap: The chair also has a LiveBack Technology in the backrest that provides maximum comfort as you move around. It conforms to your spine’s shape to offer the needed support during your movements. For the easy functionality of this chair, it comes with adjustment instructions under the arm pads.
Verdict: Steelcase Think beats its Leap counterpart in adjustability because it allows you to fully customize your chair’s back tension and recline settings. As a result, you attain a personalized sitting experience with maximum back support.
3. Material Options
An office chair’s upholstery is key to its looks, feel, and price. Also, you want to have a chair in your favorite color or one that matches your office decor. The Think and Leap vary in this area too.
Steelcase Think: The chair comes in leather, fabric, and 3D mesh material options. While leather and fabric variants “represent” a luxurious feel and comfort respectively, the mesh option enhances breathability. It allows a free flow of air throughout your seating, so you won’t sweat during prolonged sittings.
Steelcase Leap: This office chair is available in leather and fabric materials. If you choose luxury over comfort, the leather option is the best for you. Where comfort comes first, the fabric Leap chair is ideal.
Verdict: Again, Steelcase Think carries the day. In addition to offering you luxurious and comfortable choices, it has 3D breathable chairs that prevent sweating during high temperatures.
Steelcase products are known for their innovative designs, and the two chairs are not exception. Nonetheless, they’ve some differences.
Steelcase Think: It has a minimalistic and comfortable design, offering full back support. The seat and backrest are wide enough to provide an excellent sitting experience for more than 8 hours. The outer backrest is made up of flexible plastic grids and 3D mesh for sufficient air circulation.
Steelcase Leap: The Leap chair has a tall and wide backrest but has a narrower overall design. Its nylon material makes it durable and easily portable without harming your flooring. Additionally, the chair has a grid in the lumbar region, enhancing air circulation.
Verdict: Steelcase Think allows sitting for long hours due to its wide seat and backrest. It’s therefore ideal if your work involves a lot of sitting. Its minimalistic design also places it on the upper edge for lovers of the same.
Sitting comfortably is the main reason you’re investing in a good office chair. It prevents health problems resulting from poor postures and increases your productivity. However, comfort is relative and depends on your preference. While some seats are softer, others are firmer and stiffer.
Steelcase Think: This office chair has a standard design with adjustable armrests and lumbar support. They provide a comfortable sitting experience for long hours. However, the chair has a limited recline, and its plastic grids can be uncomfortable during prolonged sitting.
Steelcase Leap: It’s one of the most comfortable chairs on the market due to its innovative design and excellent padding. Although the chair has a thinner seat, its design and padding make it more comfortable. Furthermore, the Leap has a padded backrest that adds to the chair’s comfort. Also, its LiveBack Technology allows conformity to your body shape as you move for maximum comfort.
Verdict: Our comfort prize winner is the Steelcase Leap. It provides the utmost comfort no matter the period you sit in the chair. It also supports your back in diverse body postures.
Although Steelcase Think and Leap have similar features, they vary in one way or the other.
Steelcase Think: This chair has a standard semi-adjustable design. Its recline and adjustable knob are fitted with four recline positions, lacking the midpoint one. This office chair also falls short of the 4D adjustable armrest present in its Leap equivalent.
Steelcase Leap: Unlike its Think equivalent, the Leap has a fully adjustable design. From the adjustable seat height to multiple reclining positions, Steelcase Leap v2 is a great choice. It has all the vital, flexible options you need. Additionally, the chair has a recliner and back tension with adjustable levers for more customization. Also, it offers five reclining positions, which places it at a higher edge than Think.
Verdict: The Leap is the winner in the Steelcase Think vs. Leap v2 features league. It’s more adjustable and offers a wider range of reclining positions for more comfort.
Steelcase has already built its name in the office chair industry. Hence their products are relatively expensive, and our two chairs in question are not an exception. Nevertheless, the two vary in price.
Steelcase Think: Generally, it’s less expensive than Leap. However, this chair is only affordable at the base level and is an ideal choice when working on a tight budget. You’ll have to dig deeper into your pocket if you need one with more customizable features.
Steelcase Leap: It’s more pricey due to its ability to offer more adjustability options. These include the 4D adjustable armrests, headrests, and casters, among others. They allow more customization for a personalized sitting experience.
Verdict: A more customizable office chair is ideal; hence, the Leap carries the day. However, if your budget can’t allow it, the Think still offers basic adjustability.
Steelcase Think Vs. Leap Chair: Similarities
Although the two chairs offer different degrees of support and comfort, they still have a few points of convergence. The most profound ones include:
- Both chairs are fitted with similar ergonomic features to enhance an ideal sitting experience when you’re working at a desk.
- Think and leap has multiple back adjustment options, guaranteeing you support and comfort in different postures.
- These office chairs are one-size-fits-all pieces of furniture because you can customize the chair to suit your current need.
- Each chair has an adjustable lumbar support tension, allowing you to adjust the firmness of your lumbar region for a healthy sitting position.
- The two chairs are made of different material variants, so you can choose your favorite and customize your home office. You can find either of the chairs in leather or fabric, while the Think has an additional mesh option.
- They both come in innovative designs that are up-to-date with current technology. No wonder they rank among the top in the market.
- The brand offers a 12-years warranty for both chairs because they’re confident of their build quality.
Are Expensive Office Chairs Worth It?
Yes, expensive office chairs are worth it. An office chair plays a major role in overall performance and health. While a cheap choice may not offer a good sitting experience, an expensive chair may be your ideal option for the following reasons.
- Utmost comfort
- Improved productivity
- More durability
- Health benefits
- Better build quality
- Usage level
- Research and development
The above price-determining factors are discussed below. Read on.
1. Utmost Comfort
Comfort is the key reason why you’re investing in an expensive ergonomic office chair. Modern office chairs are highly customizable to comply with your preferences and needs. For that reason, these chairs allow adjustments to an ideal sitting position.
Hence, you can adjust your chair to obtain the correct seat height and depth, headrest and armrest positions, lumbar support, and more. These functionalities make up a good office chair which is a bit costly. Nonetheless, these chairs are worth the money because of the great options and the value for money they offer.
Note that the less expensive alternatives may offer comfort at first, but before long, wear and tear is evident. You’ll have to bear with the discomfort or visit the deal once again!
2. Improved Productivity
A good office chair boosts your productivity. Sitting in an ergonomic office chair ensures your physical well-being, reduces stress and maintains efficiency. This office chair costs more because of its high quality.
On the other hand, a less expensive office chair isn’t ergonomically fit. This chair may cause health problems that can be a major source of distractions from work. You also become prone to making mistakes due to a lack of concentration, where your focus goes to pain and undue stress.
For that reason, investing in a good office chair is brilliant because you become more productive when you sit in the correct posture.
3. More Durability
Expensive office chairs are more long-lasting. The high price tag results from the high build quality and the extended warranties that come with these chairs.
Cheap office chair options have poor quality components, such as plastic casters that can be destroyed quickly or damage your carpet. The adjustable parts also break down within no time.
So, why invest in a less expensive office chair only to get you back to your furniture dealer a few months after purchase? A costly ergonomic office chair saves you much in the long run. It serves you over an extended period, if not a lifetime.
4. Health Benefits
An ideal ergonomic office chair comes with tons of health benefits. It adjusts to suit your body posture accordingly, providing a healthy working atmosphere. The major ones include:
- Minimal or no lower back pain
- Maintaining the correct posture of your spine
- Keeping shoulder and neck pain at bay
- Ensuring a neutral position of the joints
- Providing the right position of your arms when working
- Enhancing blood circulation
- Alleviating physical and mental fatigue
5. Better Build Quality
Expensive office chairs are made of better materials than typical office chairs. The materials are more durable, appealing, and breathable and that adds to the overall cost of the chairs.
Additionally, high-quality materials enhance the chairs’ comfort. Consequently, these chairs encourage you to sit for long hours without straining. Also, good-quality materials are easy to clean without the help of an expert.
Furthermore, expensive chairs’ frame is made of wood, high-end plastic, and aluminum. These materials are long-lasting and can hold a weight capacity of up to 400 pounds.
6. Usage Level
How long you’ll be sitting in an office chair is a crucial consideration. If your work demands you to sit all day long, an expensive office chair is an ideal investment. This chair guarantees you maximum comfort and eliminates all potential health problems.
Moreover, the high longevity of these chairs is essential. They allow you to sit 24/7 without experiencing wear and tear or breaking down months down the line. For that reason, the benefits of these chairs overshadow their high cost.
7. Research And Development
Behind a perfect ergonomic office chair is research and development. The exercise costs the brand a lot of money which contributes to the final price of the chair. After all, you’re paying for the solution to your posture problems.
For instance, Steelcase’s global study of over 2000 people’s postures birthed SteelcaseGesture. The researchers discovered nine postures that other office chairs in the market hadn’t put into consideration.
Consequently, the brand developed Gesture as a solution to modern workspaces’ interactions, a wider range of postures, and body sizes. That cost it time and resources leading to the chair’s high price.
Is Steelcase Think Worth The Money?
Yes, Steelcase Think is worth the money. It may not be the best among its Steelcase counterparts but has the high-quality standards the brand offers. It has a self-adjusting mechanism that ensures your comfort without much effort from your end. Moreover, it has an above-average size, an exceptionally comfortable seat, and amazing design choices.
Is Steelcase Leap Worth It?
Yes, Steelcase Leap is worth it. This office chair is fully adjustable to suit your needs and preferences. It’s an all-body-size chair and provides enough comfort over a prolonged period and in different postures. Also, this chair comes in a wide range of colors, so you can choose your favorite or one that blends well with your decor.
Does The Steelcase Think Have A Synchro-Tilt Mechanism?
Yes, Steelcase Think has a synchro-tilt mechanism. Its backrest and seat are designed to move simultaneously in a certain ratio. When you lean on the backrest, the seat moves concurrently to support you in your reclined posture. Also, your feet remain on the floor while you look straight ahead with your chest stretched without pressure on your thighs.
Is Steelcase Leap Hot?
No, Steelcase Leap isn’t hot. The Leap chair has a breathable backrest offering a cool back solution. The back allows the free flow of air between you and the chair. Its specially designed foam and slat system maintains standard temperatures when you’re seated and prevents sweating.
What Is Steelcase Return Policy?
Steelcase’s return policy is the money-back guarantee you get when you return the chair within 14 days after purchase. You can do so for any reason as long the chair is still in new condition and in its original packaging to receive your refund in full. Usually, the customer may just dislike the piece of furniture or no longer need it.
Steelcase Think Vs. Leap: Which Is The Better Option
The two chairs are among the best ergonomic office chairs around. They come from a renowned brand and promise excellent support and comfort. Hence, you won’t regret choosing either of them. Nonetheless, the Steelcase Think office chair and Steelcase Leap office chair have differences.
The Think chair has a mesh back for breathability, a firmer seat, and a fully customizable back tension and recline. It’ll cost you less than its Leap counterpart. On the other hand, the leap has a softer seat, more adjustability features, and superior lower back support.
This article has equipped you fully to make an objective decision. The choice you make depends on your need, preference, and budget.
Andrew Smith is the founder of CozySeating, is a father of 2, and an engineer from one of the leading furniture stores in the country. Due to his 10 years of experience, he has proved to be the best person to offer advice to clients regarding different seating furniture based on their needs and performance. Besides, he is a specialist in product reviews and always keeps up with the current trends in the market.
How to Remove Hair from Office Chair Wheels – A Detailed Guide
Dust, dirt, and stubborn hair can be extremely frustrating. Hence, the purpose of this post is to show you how to remove hair from office chair wheels.
How to Protect Wood Floor from Office Chair
Wood floors are beautiful, but they also get damaged. Dragging office chairs, for example, damages them. Here’s how to protect wood floor from office chair.