Disclosure: This site is reader-supported & contains affiliate links. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more
While rocking in a reclining chair is fun and comfy, sometimes you just want to sit on the same chair without rocking. Other times you need extra space. Still, you may be having toddlers around, and you fear that your rocking recliner could be the cause of an emergency. Hence, you want to lock it.
I’ll, therefore, focus on how to make a rocker recliner not rock in this article.
You can adjust a rocker recliner by adjusting its mechanism to increase its reclining tension or decrease it. To lock a recliner, lean back, hold the armrests while pushing the lower crossbar with your feet, then lock it once you’re at a comfy position.
Table of Contents
Can A Rocker Recliner Be Adjusted?
The rocker recliner can be adjusted if it has an adjusting mechanism. With the mechanism, the recline pressure can be adjusted to suit anyone using a rocker recliner. In most cases, you’ll see wing nuts or thumbwheels.
With these features, you can adjust the tension of your rocker. How? By turning them clockwise, you increase the tension. The opposite works to decrease the tension.
These recliners, however, attract a high price due to this feature, but they’re worth buying.
How about locking them?
How To Make A Rocker Recliner Not Rock
By installing the wedge between the frames of the hinges box and the chair, you stop a recliner from rocking.
To successfully make your recliner rock; the following tools are necessary:
- Tape measure
- Band saw/table saw/ scroll saw
- Screws and screwdriver
How to prevent the chair from rocking?
- Using a tape measure, start measuring from the bottom of the rocker recliner frame and top most part of the hinged box to know the height between the two. Record all measurements somewhere since you’ll need them later.
- Next, the frame box’s length, starting from right to left (or left to right).
- Cut a piece of hardwood (the height and length should match the measurements you just got above). To make mounting stress-free— your hardwood should not be less than 1 inch thick.
- Using any of the saws I mentioned above, cut the wood to match the right measurements.
- Through the top of the wood, carefully drill a pilot hole. It would be best if you use a ⅛ inch drill to do this. However, be sure to leave at least a ½ inch allowance on all ends of the hardwood.
- Right between the hinged box and rocking chair frame, push the wooden block, ensuring that it’s firmly fixed to prevent a case where the chair would still rock after locking it.
- Using a screwdriver and screws (preferably 2-inches long), firmly fix the hardwood block in place.
- Sit and push the rocking recliner down to confirm if you’ve successfully stopped it from rocking.
How Do You Lock A Recliner?
If you don’t want your rocker to rock, you can lock a recliner by turning the lock so that it faces straight out of the chair from down vertically. Normally, the lock isn’t perpendicular to the recliner’s armrest when you put it in a locked position.
Once it reaches its end, don’t apply force to move it, lest you break it.
Also, Learn the difference between a glider and a rocker recliner.
What Do You Call A Recliner That Doesn’t Rock?
A recliner that doesn’t rock is called a wallsaver recliner. Its other names include wall hugger or a wallaway recliner. These types of recliners are suitable in rooms with space limitations since they recline backward and move forward, too.
It’s easy to have your rocker wherever you want as long as you know how to make a rocker recliner not rock. Besides, even without any carpentry knowledge, you can still make a wedge and have the recliner rock.
Just ensure you have correct measurements to avoid a case where you would do double work or even count losses.
Don’t be overconfident with your work, though, especially if you’ve not done this before. So, test your rocking recliner immediately after installing the wedge to be sure that it’s firm and professionally installed.
Andrew Smith is the founder of CozySeating, is a father of 2, and an engineer from one of the leading furniture stores in the country. Due to his 10 years of experience, he has proved to be the best person to offer advice to clients regarding different seating furniture based on their needs and performance. Besides, he is a specialist in product reviews and always keeps up with the current trends in the market.
How Much Do Recliners Weigh?
Are you planning to buy a recliner but you want to be sure how much it weighs before you can make your purchase? This article answers the question, how much do recliners weigh in detail.
How To Replace A Recliner Spring: An Easy To Follow DIY Guide
Save yourself a chunk of money by learning how to replace a recliner spring with this super simple DIY guide. All you need is the right tools and a little time in your hands.