Disclosure: This site is reader-supported & contains affiliate links. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more
Owning a recliner is a dream come true for several good reasons. However, the joy can be short-lived by a snap from one of the parts of the recliner. At this moment, frustration kicks in immediately when you think of a solution to replacing the chair. This leads to most homeowners asking, is it possible to repair a recliner?
Repairing a recliner is possible and easy at the same time. Here in this guide, we’ll help you with various approaches to improving your recliner.
Table of Contents
You must establish the broken part to repair your recliner successfully. A recliner has several movable parts prone to breaking due to the wear and tear of daily use. The standard features that break in most recliners include;
- Pull handle
- Chair back
- Reclining mechanism
Also, ensure you have the right tools and materials for the job. Usually, tools vary with the part you are fixing, but there are general tools like an adjustable wrench, flathead screwdriver, and a torch. Furthermore, buy the necessary replacement parts before you start the repair to avoid stopping the on-going process.
How to Repair a Pull Handle
A recliner handle is a significant part of the reclining mechanism. Once it breaks or stops functioning, you will not engage your chair’s comfort as you desire. However, it is relatively easy to fix, as well.
If the handle breaks, obviously, this calls for a replacement. While replacing, make sure you check the handle details to buy the same type. Getting the right replacement will ensure a remaining smooth process.
Another sign of a broken handle is a non-functional footrest. Before you begin the repair, make sure the footrest is down even if it manually pushes it down.
- Overturn the chair and look for the screw that attaches to the handle. Most probably, you will need a flashlight to have an exact look.
- You will find escutcheon, a pull lever cover. Go ahead and remove the cover and the handle.
- With the right replacement, fix it in place and tighten the screw.
- Return the chair to its natural sitting position and test the lever.
In case you are repairing a black oval mechanism, this is what you should do. Luckily, there is no need to turn the chair as you can replace it when the chair is upright. Sounds pretty easy, huh?
- Pull the mechanism until it detaches from the cable.
- Unscrew the two screws that secure it in place.
- Pull it out carefully, avoiding damage to the material.
- Remove the line, attach it to the new mechanism, and screw it firmly back in place.
How to Repair a Chair Back
Repairing the chair back will determine the type of recliner you have. Different recliners have different chair backs for instance;
- A locking lever back has brackets attached to the back’s sides and requires you to disconnect them to remove the back.
- Bolted back has bolts attaching the back to a panel under the chair back. You will need to remove the bolts carefully to remove the back.
- Locking tabs back has the back locked into position. To remove this back, use a flathead screwdriver to unlock the tabs.
One of the easiest chair backs to repair is that of lazy boy recliners. Check out our reviews on the best lazy boy recliners for lower back pain in the market.
How to Repair a Cable
One of the reasons your recliner fails to work is because of a faulty cable. A defective line can also cause the back of the chair to barge without any command. While this is dangerous, it is also easy to fix. Note that fixing a cable results in replacing the current and faulty one. Here is how;
- Ensure the cable is in its piston bracket, and then pull the cord. Do this by releasing the cable stop.
- To replace the line, overturn the chair for a better view and handle of the process.
- Unfasten the bolts on the footrest and those that attach the frame of the chair and the squab.
- Remove the squab and fix the new cable.
- Return the squab and bolt it securely into position.
- Return the chair into its upright position.
How to Repair a Footrest
The footrest of a recliner has several problems it can encounter and need fixing. For example;
Footrest Refusing To Latch
In most cases, faulty springs cause the footrest not to latch. Therefore you need to check on the condition of the springs to establish the problem.
- Overturn the chair for a proper and detailed check of the springs to ascertain whether they need replacement or adjustment.
- For an overstretched or broken footrest, this calls for a replacement. Replacing such a spring will ensure a normal-tension return to the footrest.
In case of a jammed footrest, do not panic.
- Flip over your recliner to look for the ratchet attached to the footrest.
- Take apart the bar by removing the pins and springs.
- You need to test if the footrest will function well before you amend the ratchet.
- If not, lubricate the joints and other movable parts of the footrest using the WD40. This, too, can help unjam the footrest as the parts will begin to move smoothly. Otherwise, continue checking for more issues if the footrest fails to function.
Stuck Up Footrest
When your footrest is in the up position, it becomes difficult to get out of the chair. This is what you should do to repair it;
- Overturn the recliner chair and unfasten all the screws to find attached to the frame.
- Apply all the joints with WD40 as a lubricant. Ensure you cover the bottom of the cushions to avoid staining.
- Engage the handle to test any stiffness in the footrest and apply more when necessary.
- Once you feel it’s good to use, return the seat upright and test the footrest.
How to Repair a Reclining Mechanism
When a recliner fails to recline, either the cable or the arm is to blame. In other scenarios, both can also play a role in failing the reclining mechanism. Besides, what’s a recliner chair with a failed recline system? To repair the arm of the recliner;
Remove the cushion to locate the lever. In case it fell off, put it back in position. But a broken or stripped off arm needs replacement.
Always ensure the nut and bolt screw in firmly in position.
There it is easy peasy! The thought of replacing or repairing your recliner should not be a source of your migraines. Establish the faulty part and follow the above-detailed instructions to have your recliner back in showroom condition.
However, there are possibilities that you can fail to do the repairs in case of a complicated fault. Such cases require a professional approach hence the need to hire one. Moreover, check the warranty that comes with your recliner after purchasing to see if it covers the repair. Some warranties will cater for the whole damage cost, while others have terms and conditions applied.
The bottom line is to get back on your recliner for better and more comfortable evenings and weekends.
Andrew Smith is the founder of CozySeating, is a father of 2, and an engineer from one of the leading furniture stores in the country. Due to his 10 years of experience, he has proved to be the best person to offer advice to clients regarding different seating furniture based on their needs and performance. Besides, he is a specialist in product reviews and always keeps up with the current trends in the market.
Recliner Vs. Incliner
Recliners vs. incliners! What is the difference between the two pieces of furniture? Here’s a detailed explanation and a guide on choosing your ideal seat.
How to Clean a Recliner? Easy Steps to Follow + Care Tips
Regardless of a spill or a stain on any upholstery and type of recliner, do not worry. We have the best tips for cleaning your recliner spotless.
How to Find Your Most Comfortable Recliner?
Looking for the most comfortable recliner? Here is everything you need to know on how to find one.
How to Adjust Lazy Boy Recliner
Adjusting a lazy boy recliner is a simple process that can be done in a few minutes. In this article, I’ll show you how to adjust Lazy Boy recliner all by yourself.
How To Fix A Recliner That Leans To One Side
A definitive step-by-step guide on how to fix a recliner that leans to one side. Is your chair denying you the usual comfort? It’s time to give it some real care.
How To Make A Recliner More Comfortable
Recliners are the most sought-after furniture due to their comfort. What if their comfort lessens? I’ll guide you on how to make a recliner more comfortable.