Disclosure: This site is reader-supported & contains affiliate links. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more
When furnishing your living room, the seats you decide to buy may very well mean the difference between a cozy space and a crowded living room. Two of the best options available for leaving room seats are the recliner and chair with an ottoman.
With the right choice from this two, you will end up with a space that feels homely and welcoming. Your friends and family will love the finishing, and your living room will come together, creating a warm and peaceful space for you.
Table of Contents
Chair with Ottoman vs. Recliner
Deciding on a chair with an ottoman vs. recliner may seem like a tall order, but if you get to learn of the pros and cons of each, then you will have an easy time when picking your seats. That beautiful living room you have always imagined is just one article away.
We will enlighten you on all you need to know before you pick a seat with this text. We will take you through all you need to know about a recliner seat and the ottoman option. After reading through this article, you will have no problem when deciding on your new chairs.
We highly recommend this recliner as they offer families a lot of space and offer different ways to sit. The recliner seats make it possible for you to take very comfy naps in the living room. The recliner lets your whole family enjoy not only one piece of furniture but also provides them with opportunities to use it in different ways.
- 8 Best Mission Style Recliner
- 7 Best Chair And a Half Recliner You’ll Love to Buy
- 10 Most Comfortable High Leg Recliner
- 10 Best Recliners for Sleeping
- 10 Best Ergonomic Recliner Chairs
- These recliners are very comfortable.
- The recliner seats provide additional back and lumbar support, making them an excellent choice for those experiencing back pain.
- The seats have an option of either manual or electric versions. The manual seats are the more traditional option, while the electric chairs are the best option for those who will need extra help reclining.
- You can choose from a wide variety of colors, fabrics, and styles. This option ensures that the seats complement your leaving room rather than directing attention from it.
- The recliner seats come with a wide variety of additional options for you to choose from. You will get options ranging from charging ports to massage chairs for that extra bit of comfort. However, you should pay attention to the final price because heaters and massagers will increase the final cost of the chair by a significant amount.
- You will have to dig a bit deeper into your pockets as the price will be a bit higher than a traditional sofa.
- While the electric versions are a good option for the weak, have problems operating the manual version by themselves, or just want extra comfort, it needs to be plugged into a socket for it to work. Plugging in your seats will, in turn, increase your electric consumption and raise your power bill.
- The sofa will occupy more space as it needs to be away from the wall to ensure that there is enough room to recline fully.
Chairs with Ottoman
The ottoman is what you need for those looking to get a more traditional and classic style for their living room. An ottoman is a low, padded, backless piece of furniture. It is also ideal as a seat, a table, or a footrest.
Most of the time, the ottoman will be square or rectangular. That said, you can also find circular or oval designs. The shape and size of the ottoman will depend mainly on personal preference and the functionality of the seat.
Depending on the design, an ottoman can be larger or smaller, come with built-in storage, and even fit under your chair. Those that act as a footrest should be at least an inch lower than the seat. This will ensure that you do not overstretch your knee, providing you with a more comfortable seating position.
- Armchairs that come with matching ottomans will be lighter, more mobile, and cost a lot less than other seats.
- The ottoman is free-standing; you can move it around for the perfect placement. You can even keep it aside if you are not in the mood to use it.
- The ottoman can be used as a coffee table, allowing you to save more space in your living room.
- When selecting between a chair with an ottoman vs. a recliner, the ottoman gets the upper hand as it can provide you with extra storage space. Some models can be opened up and stored for books, pillows, or even extra blankets to cozy up during those cold days.
- Provide extra comfort. The ottoman allows you to put your fit up and relax on any sofa in your living room.
- Although the ottoman is versatile and malty functional, it does come as a separate piece of furniture. This means that the seats will occupy more space in the living room compared to the foldable recliner seat.
- Given the fact that the ottoman is just a regular seat, the back will not recline. This means that you will be seated with your torso at a 90-degree angle to your legs. Prolonged seating in this position will tend to create back problems for you.
- Keeping it clean – Ottomans are always upholstered. Like any piece of upholstered furniture, keeping it clean is a significant concern. You will need to pretreat your ottoman with a protective spray or spill coating if you want to have peace of mind. To avoid staining the fabric, you will need to wipe up spills quickly.
- Cost of aging. When the ottoman begins to show signs of wear and tear, you will have to replace it or pay for refurbishing, which is an additional expense.
- Bulky – the ottomans will most likely be hardy and dense; this will make it difficult to rearrange without help, limiting their versatility.
In today’s society, people tend to spend most of their time sitting during the day. With so much time spent on our backside, it is essential to get proper lumbar support. You might need to pay extra to get your back fixed now and then, a problem that you can avoid simply by getting a good seat at home.
The type of seats you select will also help in bringing out the beauty of your home. With a formal living room getting home from work will be a joy. You will be able to come home, relax and let your fatigue wash away.
The ottoman and recliner seats are two of the best options available in the market when choosing seats. Each has its pros and cons that weighing them will allow you to select the seat that will best suit your living room.
That said, when it comes to selecting between a chair with an ottoman vs. a recliner, we recommend going for the recliner. The ottoman is an extra piece of furniture that is versatile and can be used for many functions, including providing additional storage, a coffee table, and a footrest.
Besides, the ottoman does not do much when it comes to comfort. When used as a footrest, it will lift your fit-up, but that is all it can do. Additionally, if the ottoman’s height is not perfect, it will put a lot of strain on your knees when you use it. Let’s not forget that you will be sitting at a constant 90-degree angle which might not be the most comfortable position, especially for pregnant people.
On the other hand, the recliner seat allows you to recline the back of your chair while lifting your legs. This, in turn, lets you stretch out perfectly on the seat for the most comfort. You will be able to take the pressure off the base of your spine, which will help relieve back pains.
The recliner seat also comes with several extra features, from charging ports for your phone, massage options to heated seats to keep you warm during those cold days. These additional features will cost you a lot more than any other seat available in the market, so you should be careful when buying this seat not to spend more than you can afford. Happy seating!
Hi there, I’m Andrew Smith, a father of 2, and an engineer from one of the leading furniture store in the country. Due to my 5 years experience, I am best suited to offering you perfect advice on different seating furniture regarding your needs and preference. Hence, I am a specialist in product reviews keeping up with the current trends in the market. Read more “about us”
How To Fix A Recliner Footrest: Causes And 3 Different Solutions
Is your recliner footrest faulty? Here is an easy-to-follow guide on how to fix a recliner footrest. Also included are the major causes of a malfunctioning footrest.
What Are the Different Types of Recliners?
If you want to learn more about different recliners that will suit your comfort and luxury, you are in the right place. This guide offers the different types of recliners currently in the market.
What Is A Wall Hugger Recliner?: The Basics
What is a wall hugger recliner? Read on to discover everything about the wall hugger recliner: How it works, the available models, and tips that will help you choose the perfect wall hugger recliner for you.
How To Fix A Sagging Recliner Chair
Learning how to fix a sagging recliner chair is more appealing than replacing it. It will also save you lots of money. Here’s how.
How To Clean Leather Recliner (Pro Guide)
Learn how to clean leather recliner like a PRO to have it looking shiny and attractive for years to come.
The Easy Way of Repairing Different Parts of Your Recliner
Did you know you can repair your recliner by yourself? Well, not without the help and guide we offer in this article. Indulge in DIY.